Mass PIRG (http://www.masspirg.org)
- The Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group is a student-run organization with a chapter at UMass Dartmouth. They seek solutions for real problems faced by students and the public.
College Open Textbooks (http://collegeopentextbooks.org/)
A collection of colleges, governmental agencies, education non-profits, and other education-related organizations that are focused on the mission of driving the awareness and advocacy for open textbooks.
Provides training for instructors seeking to utilize open educational resources.
Let Congress know you support the Affordable College Textbook Act
- The Affordable College Textbook Act (S.1704/H.R.3538) will reduce the cost of textbooks at U.S. colleges and universities by expanding the use of open educational resources (OER) - free, online academic materials that everyone can use, adapt and share. The bill was introduced in November 2013 by Senators Dick Durbin and Al Franken in the Senate and Representatives Rubén Hinojosa and George Miller in the House.
- More information at the SPARC OER site
Make Textbooks Affordable (http://Maketextbooksaffordable.org)
- Aims to develop a textbook market with both a vibrant used book market and a plethora of learning content that is priced and sold fairly.
- Provides latest news, studies and solutions on cost of college textbooks; advocacy opportunities for professors and students.
Cape Town Open Education Declaration (http://www.capetowndeclaration.org/read-the-declaration)
- A statement of principle, a statement of strategy and a statement of commitment
- To spark dialogue, to inspire action and to help the open education movement grow
- To develop further strategies, especially around open technology and teaching practices
Open Education Community (https://creativecommons.org/tag/open-education-community/)
- Gateway to information about the open education movement and Open Educational Resources
- Intended for anyone interested in open education, the site provides links to resources, organizations, events, people, and more
OER Support from SPARC (http://sparc.arl.org/issues/oer)
- SPARC®, the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition, is an international alliance of academic and research libraries working to correct imbalances in the scholarly publishing system.
- This page highlights SPARC's work in supporting OER work.
Open Knowledge Foundation (http://www.okfn.org/)
- Promoting Open Knowledge in a Digital Age.
- Working on open knowledge projects, such as http://www.openeconomics.net/.
- Providing infrastructure, and potentially a home, for open knowledge projects, communities and resources.
- Acting at UK, European and international levels on open knowledge issues.
- Running open knowledge events.
Create Change (http://www.createchange.org/index.shtml)
- Create Change is an educational initiative that examines new opportunities in scholarly communication, advocates changes that recognize the potential of the networked digital environment, and encourages active participation by scholars and researchers to guide the course of change.
- Create Change was developed by the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) and SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) and is supported by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).